Sunday, October 24, 2010

Went for a concert last Tues at Yong Siew Toh with Xiaomirs :)

It was possibly the first string quartet that I've heard because as a wind orchestra person, strings are beyond me. The first time that I heard a violin that I didn't immediately go 'EWWWWWWWWWW' was back in 2006, sitting the B&B in Cambridge with Rui, watching the BBC Proms on our little TV. I'm not even sure who it was. It was a lady, and she was so awesome that Rui and I just sat there listening, instead of launching into our usual complaints about string instruments :)

So, anyway, I can't tell if the Shanghai Quartet was brilliant but they sounded pretty good to me. The rather modern-sounding piece by Penderecki, however, was ... well, modern. It sounds like the type of piece that I wouldn't be able to understand and perform unguided, though the motifs are quite pleasant taken alone.

But Xiaomirs and I were discussing how amazing it was that they could change tempo, and in general, play together without a conductor to direct them. Sitting in Rwinds prac yesterday, it's amazing how even when there IS a conductor, the band was unable to change dynamics or tempo together. Maybe for the simple fact that some of us are unfamiliar with the pieces. But also, because coming from different backgrounds and different bands, we don't play in the same style and we don't feel the same about how a piece ought to be played.

Anyway, back to the Shanghai Quartet, alarmingly, I quite like their 'Selections from China Song'. Perhaps it was cos the first movement was Yao Dance, and in RG, I'm pretty sure I played 'Dances of Yao' or something like that and it just sounded so familiar :)

This is such a boring entry x.x

No comments: