Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Fallacy

These days you see too many articles and stories about school drop-outs who make it big.
I don't disagree, but I do want to say that while many(?) world-changing people out there are school drop-outs, many school drop-outs don't make it big.

I doubt the relationship between school drop-out and world-changer is a causal one, however far removed.

There's a name for this kind of fallacy that I learnt in university but I don't remember.
And somehow this reminds me of David Hume.
And also that story about the balloon and the car.
And that story about how people who don't eat seafood are more likely to be murderers.
And of course, the democratic peace theory.

PS Fallacy is called cum hoc ergo propter hoc for whoever cares.
Doesn't sound familiar at all though...

No comments: